Pathways to Permanent Residency

Pernament Residence

After you have lived and worked in Australia on this visa, there are several permanent visas that you can apply for.

When can you apply for a permanent visa?

You can apply for a permanent visa after you have:

  • lived for two years in a Specified Regional Area and worked, including being self-employed, for one year in these same areas.
    See: Specified Regional Areas
  • obtained sponsorship under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

Which permanent visas can you apply for?

You can apply for any permanent visa in Australia, however the Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) is specifically designed for holders of a provisional skilled visa who want to apply for permanent residency.
See: Skilled – Regional (Residence) Visa (Subclass 887)

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 857) has reduced eligibility requirements for holders of a Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclasses 475 and 487) or a Skilled – Independent Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 495).
See: Allocation dates for General Skilled Migration applications

Show More


Everything you should know about immigration to Australia, for long or short period, or maybe just for visiting this beautiful country.

Related Articles